Along These Lines
A DVD exploring old railway lines in some of the most beautiful parts of the South of England. From unique nature reserves and public footpaths to the abandoned and completely wild trackbeds and former stations. Part social history, part industrial archaeology, the series is a travel programme too, touching different counties and unearthing local characters and the area's industrial past.
Originally shown on Meridian ITV. Presenter, Hannah Shellswell walks and cycles the disused rail tracks, sometimes alone, sometimes in conversation. In the course of her journey, Hannah learns many things - local and anecdotal, historical and significant. But, essentially, it's the story of people; some well-known names crop up - like Dr. Beeching, whose damning report axed so many lines and stations in the sixties. Did history blame the wrong man?
Produced by Platform 14 for ITV. Replicated and distributed by Video 125.
- Castleman's Corkscrew - Brockenhurst to Hamworthy
- Longmoor Military Railway - Bordon to Liss
- Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway - Spettisbury and Sturminster Newton to Bournemouth
- The Hawkhurst Branch - Paddock Wood to Hawkhurst
- Meon Valley Railway - Alton to Fareham
- East Kent Railway - Shepherdswell to Wingham
- Spratt and Winkle - Southampton to Andover
- Isle of Wight - Shanklin to Ventnor and the Freshwater Line